Thursday, August 07, 2008

The pigs in the barn











The farm has many wings in the barn. You could get lost going in circles i swear somedays finding where the pigs are farrowing that day. But the sows waiting to get bred or that are bred but waiting to go to farrowing are in 2 sections. There they hang out till it is their time to go to farrowing. Dennis helped cut tails one day and I did the next. Matthew likes the ones with the pink heads as they go to Jimmy Dean and Mini likes the small babies not so much the bigger ones that make a lot of noise. I took a picture of the barns from the outside though to as the inside gives you no clue as to the size of this thing! We love the farm and love that life moves so slow there. Someday I hope can move that slow for us to!

The rows of sows standing there are 2 rows like that in the wing i took the picture in. The other is not as big I do not think but I could be wrong I did not count thr rows in that side. But in farrowing there are 24 sows per room and I want to say 20 farrowing rooms. It is a lot of pigs let me tell you and the kids have to check them all out at least once a day.